Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kenzie Elizabeth Waggoner

Our little girl was born August 13, 2008. (Sorry it has been a week to get that announced!) I went into labor Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at about 2:30 p.m. and my contractions were 10 minutes apart. By the time 5:00 came around they were 5 minutes apart and so we headed for the hospital. They checked me when I got there and I wasn't dilated at all. However, I was still having contractions. I walked the hospital halls for an hour with Sarah Frederick and I went back in to be checked. I still wasn't dilated. At that point they gave me a morphine shot and said if the contractions continue you will be in true labor; if they stop, it was false labor. After another hour of contractions that were bringing tears to my eyes, they checked and I was dilated to a 2. I was so happy, mostly because I wasn't being sent home.
At 11:30 p.m. I was officially checked into the hospital and taken to my room. I asked for an epidural and about 2:00 a.m. I had relief from the pain. Little did I know that by the time it was all said and done, I would have gone through half my labor without an epidural. I still wasn't dilating though, so I was put on pitocin to hopefully move things along. By 5:00 a.m. I was only dilated to barely a 4, so they upped the drug to the highest dosage. At 8:30 a.m. Dr. Rahhal came in to break my water and check me again. I was a 5.
I continued dilating at a SLOW pace through the rest of the morning. At 11:00, Donnie noticed that my epidural was running low and so he went to get the nurse. She said she would be right there, but thirty minutes later, she hadn't been in, so Donnie went to get her again. By this time the pump that was pumping the drugs said empty. I was starting to feel my legs more. Thirty minutes later, we still hadn't heard from her, so Donnie went and got another nurse who quickly got the anesthesiologist in. He was quite perturbed that I had gone so long without any meds. Mostly because it is hard to get on top of the pain at that point. He ended up putting 2 shots straight into the I.V. and an hour later did another 4 because I was still feeling contractions. At 1:00, the nurses checked and I was FINALLY a 10 and so they finished getting the rest of the room ready for delivery. A little while later, they were ready for me start pushing. I pushed twice and they said ok, don't push anymore until the Dr. gets here. He was there quickly and two pushes later our little girl came into this world at 1:36p.m . It was amazing when they placed her on my belly. She was so pretty and I couldn't believe she was finally here. After throwing up almost everyday through pregnancy (including the day I went into labor) and problems with my sciatic nerve where I couldn't walk until the pain went away and 23 hours of labor.... she was worth it!
During this labor, my mom and sister and of course sweet husband were there with me when she was born. My dad had kept Blake for us and shortly after she was born he brought Blake up.
It was wonderful having them in the room with me. It was nearly as "circus-y" (my mom made that word up) as it was when I had Blake. It was a very special moment. She weighed 7lbs 10 oz. and was 19 3/4" long. Later the pediatrician said she was perfect!
It is amazing being a mom of two. Sometimes, like really early in the morning when they have both woken me up, I feel overwhelmed, but the majority of the time, I feel blessed! I have two healthy, beautiful children of our Heavenly Father!
This was me the night before I went into labor. I was WAY bigger than I was with Blake!
Donnie and I... I was on the phone with one of the many friends who either texted me or called me!
This was my sister helping me relax before it was time to push. I hadn't slept that soundly in months! Thanks Buug!!

Cute Kenzie having her feet stamped!

Blake and Kenzie
Daddy and Kenzie

Kenzie

Big Brother and Little Sister

At home the first day! What a cutie!

12 comments:

Regs said...

Yay for baby Kenzie! I love you sister (and Donnie. And Blake. And Kenzie.) :-) I'm so proud of you. And so grateful to be a part of your family! :-)

Hansen Family said...

Yeah! I have watching your blog waiting for pictures of her. She is beautiful!!! Congrats to your family!

Heather

Misty said...

OH, she is beautiful! What a loong labor! Worth it though, right?! I am glad everyone is well. Kenzie really is adorable.... I was so excited to see your post, as I have been checking almost daily to see if she had arrived!

Elizabeth said...

I'm sooooo happy for you guys! Kenzie is so pecious; what a perfect little family of four.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a LONG, not fun labor. But I agree, it's so worth it! She is absolutely beautiful!

Maura said...

So beautiful! I am so glad everyone is safe and sound...Congrats!

Stephanie said...

Kenzie is so adorable! Love her name! I am trying to decided who she looks like. Right now I am leaning more towards you. : )

How has it been adjusting to having two? In the beginning it was very overwhelming for me but I must say that it does get better! I know that Blake will be such a great helper! : )

Great job on making another adorable little one! ; ) I hope you post more pics soon! : )

annie said...

She is darling! Congratulations

Devin said...

Yea, I am so happy to see pictures! She is precious and I am so glad that she is here and well. I hope that you are feeling well and getting good rest. I love the picture with her and Blake together. How fun for him to have a little sister!
Love ya -Lauren

Nicole and Scott said...

Oh my gosh she is so cute~Congrats!

Anonymous said...

She is adorable Robyn! Way to go! We are so happy for you guys! We can't wait to see you all now! It was so sad that you couldn't come up for the reunion in Washington! But we would rather you be safe! Congrats on the beautiful baby Kenzie!

Corbin and Amy said...

Been thinking of you today Robyn. I hope you are getting some sleep by now. You know my number if you need ANYTHING....missing you.